A few weeks ago I went to a wedding for a person I don’t know. I mean, my husband knew her – she’s his cousin and so obviously we knew some of the family members in attendance like my in-laws and a couple grandparents. The wedding was nice, but I couldn’t help feeling a bit bored since I didn’t know a single person in the ceremony. But a night out without MM is nice, right? So we went, despite my trepidation about the event and we didn’t have too terrible a time. We also didn’t bring a gift, because we are poor (probably poorer than the couple) and I didn’t KNOW them well enough to pick out a gift I knew they’d like.
Today I got a thank you card in the mail. Or at least, my husband and his OTHER wife, Jess did. This is what it said:
[DH] and Jess,
Thank you so much for your generous gift. It was incredibly thoughful. It will definitely help settle into our new house. It was great to see you at the wedding and hope you had tons of fun!
[Bride] & [Groom]
So, to begin with, the name. Okay. Whatever, Jennifer, Jessica, same difference. Maye I should ask my husband if there’s something he’s been meaning to tell me? It’d be good for a laugh anyway. But then she thanks us for a nondescript generous gift of some sort… that I certainly didn’t buy, pay for or give to her. Maybe Jessica sent it? MAYBE my in-laws knew we wouldn’t get them anything and sent something in our “name”? If so, maybe I should send them my thank you note? Clearly [bride] doesn’t know what the gift was either since she didn’t mention it in the letter apart from it being thoughtful and helpful in a new home.
But the important thing to take note of here, is that if you are invited to a wedding for a couple you don’t know, don’t bother buying them a gift, because not only will the couple not remember who you actually are, they won’t have any idea if you got them a gift or not when trying to weed through the pile of crock pots and dinettes that all their “thoughtful” friends and family may [or may not] have gotten them.
They were also kind enough to send us a little card with their new names and address on it – so we can send them Christmas cards of Jess and the family, no doubt.
For this week’s Thursday 13 I’d like to continue in the silly celebrity-obsessed mood that has taken me over since reading about JNatalie being On The Market again (even though I hadn’t been aware that she was off the market in the first place). But I won’t bulldoze you with more of that topic, instead, let’s talk about Grey’s Anatomy!
The new season is starting tonight and there have been speculations galore about what the new season will bring, but let’s talk about the 13 things that I’D personally like to see in this season’s two hour premiere:
- There are rumors that someone on the show will be pregnant, but nobody seems to know WHO – most fingers point to Callie being the obvious suspect, what with all of her hussying about last season, but I think it would be MORE fun if it were a pregnant MAN now that we know that’s possible. And if Callie wants to BE the pregnant man, I guess that would be okay, but don’t you think it would be more fun if somehow Dr. McSteamy himself got pregnant? Somehow??? It is a medical drama, it could happen!
- Alex and Izzie just HAVE to get back together. I’m so tired of Izzie lusting after the wrong men – George, seriously? It was cute for exactly one minute. And Denny was fun, but he’s dead and gone so unless she also wants to be dead and gone I say she OPEN HER EYES and admit that she’s hopelessly madly deeply in love with one adorable Alex. Seriously.
- I am happy with MerDer for the moment, so I say they can just be happy and lovey and that Derek cannot die in a car accident and that Rose can NOT ruin this for them. And they should move in together post haste.
- Hmm and what about Lexie? I see her eyeing one George and while personally I think they’d be GREAT together it doesn’t seem like the writers want to actually take that route, so if she can’t be with George, who SHOULD she be with? Not McSteamy, please. Any ideas? Speculation? Girl needs some FUN is all I’m saying.
- I really want the Chief and his Wifey to get back together and for good. They love each other, it’s adorable. They should be all lovey dovey and OHHHHH maybe somehow SHE could be the prego person? Then I wouldn’t mind it not being a man because they could be all, “How is that possible?” and the chief could be all “no way” and his wife could be all “YES WAY, BAM!” I’d love it.
- Speaking of marriages that need to be worked the frek out, can Bailey and her man please get some couple’s counseling and work this out? Because I’m just not feeling it. I know there is drama but I really want them to work their ish out. For the BABY, please?
- I’m kind of bummed that Pacey won’t be making an appearance now that he’s all Fringey (great show btw) – can one of my other boyfriends make an appearance? John Mayer, are you free? You could totally have an affair with Sandra Oh before you hook up with JNatalie, I give you permission.
- Speaking of S.Oh, Cristina needs a better arc this season – no more moping, and no more annoying as all get up competition with Scalpel Up Her But Hahn. Cristina is the bomb and she needs to come into her medical own and maybe get a boyfriend (but I hear that’s definitely happening anyway which is awesome) because there is life after Burke the Jerk.
- I think for some reason there should be another Seattle Grace Prom because appart from Denny dying that was FUN – the DRESSES – the high school drama – it was fun. Or how about a homecoming parade? Floats could suddenly start gliding down the aisles, but instead of being on those floatey things, they could be on hospital beds? Work with me, I think it’s brilliant.
- If Addison comes back, it has to be so she can be in the MerDer wedding. And she has to be elated and engaged herself to the Private Practice hottie guy whatshisname. And then she’ll go back with her gorgeous red hair and awesome bad assed self. I love her, but not when she’s making MerDer drama, mkay?
- Who else could randomly come back? McVet? I kind of liked him, maybe he could be Lexie’s new boy toy? I can actually totally see that, there would be weird drama but Mer is happy with Der so she’d get over it and it could be AWESOME.
- I wanna see more babies – we need another prenatal doc to replace Addison’s medical status. A neonatal specialist, is that was she was called? Maybe it could be a man though, that could be hot? The gorgeous pediatrician surgeon guy? He could be Cristina’s new man in the permanent sense after John goes off with JNatalie – maybe JNatalie could be on the show, too, and STEAL John from Cristina and then McPedi could help Cristina get over it in the on call room?
- Maybe Hahn and Callie could adopt a child together since Callie isn’t pregnant anymore in my imagination. Dakota Fanning perhaps? Or that adorable little boy from Finding Neverland and everything else.
For more Thursday 13 fun click here and if you do a T13 of your own be sure to link up!
In case you weren’t reading the People Mag headlines on your Google RSS Reader this morning like I was, or in case she didn’t call you herself to tell you, JNatalie is officially On The Market (I’m assuming you haven’t snatched her up yet or that would have probably been in the headline, right?) as she and her folk-rocker boyfriend whom I’ve never heard of have BROKEN UP.
Notice, if you will, that her ex was a musician – that totally gives you an in – and I mean, maybe she’s a little tired of the folk rock thing and you can be all, “Baby, I’m gonna pour you a bowl of Count Chocula and sing you some POP music while I pull some of the oat pieces out, so it tastes like there’s just mooooore marshmallow, baby JNatalie, cause that’s how much I care about you girl, girl I would change up the marshmallow to oat ratio for you!”
And how could she say no to that? I know any man who can talk about breakfast cereals and ratios in the same sentence is a worthy partner indeed. I’ve tried to sneak it into my husband’s conversations (to little avail) for sure and it wouldn’t be much of a stretch for him.
And John did you hear about the charity compilation she curated on iTunes, Big Change: Songs for FINCA? That’s right, she’s into charities and music and HELPING people. I don’t think we need to put this up to vote anymore, John, this girl:
She’s The One. I can FEEL it.
So please put me out of my “misery” and “call her” or whatever it is you famous people do to hook up.
But WHEN you hook up and you’re all wedding bells and fireworks together, don’t alert the media – because it seems to me that media and romance are like the kiss of death for you young stars. So, just, email me or whatever at mommablogsalot @ gmail.com and let me know so that I can get to work planning your wedding and I promise I won’t tell anybody who doesn’t read this blog, mkay?