- I miss my old live journal but I can’t really see the point of maintaining it and my blog, and the review blog AND my family blog. That’s a lot of maintenance and I’m not really a high maintenance kind of girl.
- I fill out a lot of memes. Of both the silly survey-like variety and the bloggy carnival style. And in between that jumble of fun is the occasional thought-provoking good old fashioned journaling and writing and fabulousness.
Sometimes I wish there were less memes here. Especially the surveys and quizzes that I loooove to fill out but sometimes I wonder if they are bringing down the overall quality of this blog. Imagine a blog where every post was quality. Waaaaait a minute. Did I just give a good reason to maintain another blog? A silly blog with no focus on quality of writing or interest to anyone. A blog just for me? That sounds fabulous!
I will probably still do the bloggy carnival variety of memes here, at least for now, but for your fill of surveys and quizzes galore, head over to Momma Memes A Lot: Mommablogsalot’s Memeaholic Alter Ego aka My Old Livejournal With A Fabulous Grey’s Anatomy Mood Theme.
Outside my window: It’s a little on the overcast side in the high 40′s – what happened to the Fall? What happened to summer?? It got very cold all of a sudden in the past week or so and I’m really missing the cool autumn weather we had not long ago.
I am hearing: The dish washer doing it’s thing in the kitchen, the baby cooing a bit with her meme
I am thinking: about switching cell phone providers. Our service with AT&T hasn’t been nearly as good since moving to Wisconsin and we’re less than in love with our current phones. Our contract doesn’t expire until June though so we’re really in no hurry, just sort of mulling the idea over and looking around.
I am hoping: to find a good (free) exercise class to join at the Y soon, sometime on the weekend. And if there’s something fun that MM can do there at the same time, all the better!
I am reading: Queste by Angie Sage still – I’m about 1/3 of the way through it I think. I’m hoping I’ll be able to find more reading time this week. I didn’t do a ton of reading this weekend, busy visiting with family and we stayed out a bit late on Saturday – Dan took me and the baby to see Whip It! at the theatre – really good movie, but a bit too loud for the baby’s ears in my opinion.
I am creating: Nothing – I’m still not having any creative urges these days and I’m okay with that. :0)
I am wearing: my LL Bean jeans that Dan took in for me so they fit again! So I’m wearing those and a red blouse and my favorite blue bandana because I’m having a “get out of my face” hair day.
In the kitchen:
- Monday: Grilled Chicken with Rice and Carrots
- Tuesday: Spaghetti with Italian Sausage
- Wednesday: Soup and Sandwiches
- Thursday: leftover Enchilada Pizza Bake
- Friday: Salmon with rice & black beans & salad
Around the house: Honestly I’m not sure I’ll ever have anything interesting to type here.
Plans for the week: Today is the last day MM’s grandparents will be in town so we’re taking it easy and enjoying spending some time with them. They leave early tomorrow morning. The rest of the week will be pretty boring in comparison to the fun weekend we had. We might go to the Y this weekend.
A few of my favorite things: I found a great pair of Riders-brand jeans at Walmart. They look like this but they are a lighter color, couldn’t find the exact pair online. They fit me perfectly though since I got them in a petite size they aren’t like a foot too long like most jeans are. When the weather dropped dramatically this weekend I decided that I had to buy a second pair of jeans – capris just won’t cut it anymore.
A picture video thought:
Monday Mentions is an easy way to share any and all of the fun things you’ve discovered recently, online or otherwise. For more information read this post by the mastermind behind this whole thing, Jen @ Daily Mish Mash. Here’s what I’ve discovered this week…
- It seems like Fiber has become the new IT nutrition fad - and food manufacturers have noticed and begun advertising fiber in everything. But did you know that not all fiber is created equal? My husband found out recently that companies are adding fiber to foods that don’t normally contain it (or at least don’t contain much fiber) and the non-natural fiber being added may not be as good for you and might lead to indigestion. There still doesn’t seem to be much information on this out there but I saw an article about faux fiber on CalorieCount.About.Com that is worth a quick read. Their opinion is that this faux fiber certainly isn’t bad for you but that not much is known about it. In the meantime, we’re trying to cut back on foods with added fiber and stick to the natural sources instead.
- Do you write reviews on your blogs? If so, you’ve probably heard about the new FTC guidelines that affect bloggers. If you are still a bit confused about the jargon and how it specifically affects you, check out this great post at From Dates to Diapers and Beyond.
- I’m sure you all remember Glamour magazines’ recent plus-sized spotlight involving the infamous “Girl on Page 194,” 20-year-old plus sized Lizzi Miller. It seems like the fashion industry may finally be making an effort at featuring real women of all shapes and sizes. Brianna @ College Candy questions the motives and timing behind the recent and sudden embracing of full figured models. She wonders if the magazines “are capitalizing on and exploiting a whole population of woman in order to boost sales,” given the current economy. What do you think?
- I really loved this recent post by Linda @ 2nd Cup of Coffee about NASA’s plan to “whack the moon” in hopes of finding water – and what a typical guy thing that is to do. I loved her description of how a woman would handle the problem differently. I think it’s great when we can fully acknowledge the best and worst traits of each gender and have a little fun with it. And I hope NASA found the water they were looking for and didn’t “whack the moon” for nothing. I’m too lazy to google it and find out. :O)
- I saw this really cute looking recipe for a Caramel Toffee Fruit Dip at Our Best Bite, perfect for the Halloween season. And the fact that your dipping fruit in it makes it healthy, right?
- Tsh @ Simple Mom pointed out two weeks ago that there were just 12 weeks left until Christmas! Ack! That means only 10 weeks are left now. Luckily Tsh is here to help with 12 Weeks of Tips to help get you ready. Last week was all about gathering addresses for your Christmas Cards list.
- Another great Christmas-themed article was on Blissfully Domestic last week. Have you considered sending a Christmas Care Package to the Troops?
- Michael Pollan recently asked the readers of his NY Times column for help compiling a dietary list of do’s and don’ts. He got more than 2,500 responses within days and listed 20 of the best ones. My favorite is: “It’s better to pay the grocer than the doctor,” from John Forti but there were a lot of great gems in that Top 20 list!
- The internet nearly exploded with Republican angst last week when Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I’ve read a lot and heard a lot (especially from my husband, a quasi-closeted Republican) but the best thing I read was this post on GoodyBlog. Finally a positive message about something that is supposed to be a good thing, regardless of your political persuasion.