Outside my window: it’s clear now but there are some thunderstorms predicted. The weather has been cooling down quite a bit the last couple of days. I almost can’t remember the constant sweat of summer. To be honest, I don’t miss it either. The cool fall breeze has been a very welcome relief, even with all of the rain.
This weekend we: started shopping for Halloween costumes. We had a ton of luck at Savers where we scored some random second hand clothing that we’re using as pirate costumes for Dan and I and Mickey Mouse for the boy. We are still on the hunt for the perfect Minnie Mouse dress for little BB (at a decent price) but luckily we have that cat costume to fall back on if we don’t find something we like. I decided I’d really love to do a Minnie Mouse costume for her if we can find something because really, how perfect would that be?
I also: went self hosted again! Did you notice? Is everything working for you okay? I’m not sure if you’ll need to update your RSS feeds or not but hopefully everyone finds their way over and all runs smoothly. I love the look and so far I’m very happy with everything.
I am reading: Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz right now. It’s the third book in a young adult series about, big surprise, vampires. I started reading this series awhile ago but hadn’t picked up book 3 yet because so many other books kept jumping in front of me and now book 4 is out also which I might just have to pick up soon. I know there is no short supply of vampire fiction out there but this one actually has a remarkably original concept that I won’t go into much detail in for fear of giving away anything but basically imagine that vampires are actually fallen angels. I love all of the biblically historical details of this series, entwined seamlessly with current references and your typical angsty teenagers. The characters occasionally get on my nerves but the overall plot has always been enough to keep me coming back for more.
The other night: my husband accidentally made pink macaroni and cheese. I know, right? But it started out as this joke about how he likes homemade mac and cheese but I’ve been brainwashed by the likes of Kraft and their magical orange powder and honestly prefer the “fake orange mac and cheese.” So my husband in all his cleverness decided to use food coloring to turn his homemade version orange – except after adding the red, he realized we didn’t have any yellow. And the result?
It actually tasted pretty good – so either his recipe is growing on me or I’m easily amused with fun pink foods. Well, that part is definitely true and it got me thinking that a great idea for BB’s 2nd birthday would be – PINK FOOD! We can make this fun pink mac and cheese and pink cupcakes, and and and… other pink stuff. And it will be awesome. You know, next summer. If I still remember this. Somebody make a note?
Some links I think you should click:
- It seems like I share a link or twelve from ohdeedoh every week and of course this week is no exception. Check out all of the classic fisher price toys that you can buy brand new now.
- Are you a believer in the power of “Ish”? Kendra and My First Kitchen wrote this great post about this powerful suffix which reminded me of my grandmother who raised me with a “good enough” mentality that can save you from your own high expectations and allow you to stop and smell the fruits of your labor. Sometimes “good enough” or “ish” is all you need to create content instead of discontent.
- I also read this great post at The Nesting Place about making this home everything you want it to be, instead of constantly looking ahead to the next home – something I am often guilty of as I wait in anticipation for our first house. Is your house who you want to be?
- My husband and I are infatuated with Aarti Sequeira’s new cooking show – Aarti Party. Aarti won the recent Next Food Network Star challenge and has been dishing up fantastic recipes on her Sunday show ever since. I made her massaged kale salad recently and got a lot of high praise for it – my husband and I were both surprised at how much we liked a kale salad but it really was delicious. Right now I am itching to make her Come ‘Ere Puddin’ Pie.
- Simple Mom’s Weekend Links had a lot of great crafts & printables this week! I might have my husband make MM this cozy car caddy for Christmas and I printed out some pages to make myself keep your spot magnetic bookmarks, paper dollhouses and a cute printable puppet theater. Lots of fun craftiness in our future!
One last picture to share before I go: I thought you might be itching for some adorable sibling cuddles, so …