I love Christmas music but when the radio stations and shopping centers start bombarding me with it constantly, I tend to get grumpy. There is a lot of bad holiday music out there and nobody wants to hear it on repeat 24/7 for two months. Especially when there are so many good choices out there – why listen to the worst rendition of Baby It’s Cold Outside when there are such good versions?
So a few years ago Dan and I started putting together our own Christmas Mix CDs, seeking out great new tunes to add to our collection little by little and I have to say our 2011 Holiday Mix is pretty fantastic – so fantastic, I decided to share our playlist (with links to purchase most songs) with you so you can enjoy some great tunes this year, too!
Our Holiday Mix CD for 2011
- Baby It’s Cold Outside by She & Him (a fun take on the song, they reverse who sings which parts)
- Baby It’s Cold Outside by Dean Martin & Martina McBride (hands down, my favorite version of this song)
- Carol of the Bells by Barenaked Ladies
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by Jack Conte from Pomplamoose (link to YouTube video, there is a link below the video to buy the MP3 at his website)
- Deck the Halls by Pomplamoose (getting these songs on MP3 is a little tricky, you donate money to a book drive and get the album in exchange)
- Do You Hear What I Hear from the Glee Christmas collection, Volume 2
- Elf’s Lament by Barenaked Ladies (Daddy’s favorite)
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Barenaked Ladies
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Kermit the Frog – or THE FROG FROM THE MOVIE, MOMMY!!!
- I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm by Dean Martin
- Jingle Bells by Pomplamoose (included in the album from the book drive, and you won’t have to hear about Hyundai’s in the album version)
- Jingle Bells by Dean Martin (yes, you need both)
- Let It Snow by Michael Buble
- Little Saint Nick by She & Him (Zooey Deschanel’s band, I love their kind of old fashioned / indie vibe)
- Mary, Did You Know by Clay Aiken (beautiful song, this is a really good version though I’m not normally a big Clay Aiken fan, I love this song)
- Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree by She & Him
- Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer by Bing Crosby & Ella Fitzgerald (such a fun version of this classic song)
- Santa Baby by Kylie Minogue - it took me a while to find a version of this song that wasn’t too squeaky little girl and not too dominatrix block your children’s ears.
- Santa Claus Is Coming to Town by Ray Charles
- Silver Bells by She & Him
- Sleigh Ride by She & Him
- Sleigh Ride by Barenaked Ladies (again, you need both versions)
- The Little Drummer Boy by Ray Charles (I love him singing this, it just feels authentic and powerful)
- Up on The Housetop by Pomplamoose (again donate books, get full version without car commercial)
- Winter Wonderland by Dean Martin
- Wizards in the Winter by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra
What’s your favorite Christmas / holiday song?