This is my first time participating in Mamalicious Monday a fun Monday meme hosted by Heather @ The Gift Closet. Here’s hoping I don’t screw it up!
Anyway, what I wanted to talk about today was (big surprise) Valentine’s Day! I’ve been superly excited about VDay for a couple weeks now, mostly because we were planning a trip to the new local Mexican restaurant that just opened up (at least we just learned about it). I looooove me some good Mexican food so I had my fingers crossed that it wouldn’t disappoint. I’d been craving enchiladas and deep fried ice cream for weeks in anticipation of the most romantic holiday of the year. So I was taken by surprise when my husband started the holiday a few days early and brought home this:
So, not only did he notice flowers and buy them for me, he gave them to me while quoting one of our favorite family films, Shrek.
I saw this flower and thought of you because it’s pretty, and, well… I don’t really like it but I thought you might like it ‘coz you’re pretty. But I like you anyway.
Très romantique, non? So for the past several days I’ve been having fun taking pictures of my beautiful bouquet from every angle I can come up with.
MM has been busy enjoying the flowers, too.
And to top it all off? The mexican food was absofreakinglutely delicious! I cannot wait to go back there soonish for more fantastic food! All in all, it’s been a fantastic Valentine’s Day indeed.
It’s time for another Aloha Friday, the day that you take it easy and look forward to the weekend, in Hawaii and blog land anyway. As you should know by now, over at An Island Life, Kailani decided that on Fridays she would take it easy on posting and ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response.
If you’d like to participate, just post your own question on your blog and leave your link at An Island Life’s blog. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!
This weekend my husband is taking me to a new Mexican place in town. I LOVE Mexican food, especially a really good Tex Mex, but in our area those restaurants are not always easy to find, so when a new one opened up nearby, I wanted to go like immediately, but settled for, “Well how about for Valentine’s Day?” and my husband being not an idiot, said, “Sure I’ll take you out for Mexican food on Valentine’s Day.” Because you know I could have asked to go to some five star restaurant or for jewelry or something. Nope, I just want an enchilada that’s not from Taco Bell. Please and thank you.
Afterwards we’re going to to this local Candy Mansion that I’ve never been to which is absolutely absurd because it’s literally like a five minute drive from where we live and I’m pretty sure everyone in the area has been there like half a dozen times in their life, including school field trips, except me and my son (but he’s two so he totally has an excuse unlike me).
So my diet will be ruined by delicious chocolates and tex mex goodness, but I will be one happy loved lady this Valentine’s Day!
So my question(s) for you this week are:
- Do you have anything fun planned for Valentine’s Day? Maybe an Anti-V Day for the single ladies reading? Do you purposely ignore the day or enjoy celebrating it?
- If you are a Mexican food fan like myself, what is your favorite dish to order at a Mexican restaurant? Dessert?
- If you are a fan of candy and chocolate like myself, what is your favorite indulgence of the sweet tooth variety?
- How many jumping jacks do you think I’d have to do to burn off all the calories I’ll be consuming tomorrow?
This recipe is a big favorite in our household and I thought I’d post the recipe here for anyone who has seen it on my Monthly Menu Plan and wanted to make it yourself. It is SO easy and delicious.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 3/4 cups water
- About 4 oz. (1 cup) of shredded cheese but you may use more or less depending on preference
- 1 can of enchilada sauce (I think they come in 14 oz. cans, not sure at all
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook up 1 lb ground beef until it’s browned through, then drain excess grease.
- Add a packet of taco seasoning and 3/4 cups water, then continue cooking meat until the seasoning / sauce is “thick” or basically, until it’s not watery and all the meat is covered.
- Using a flat round skillet that can go in the oven, place a tortilla on the bottom, add cheese, then another tortilla and so on until it’s full, finishing with a tortilla, then topping it with a can of enchilada sauce – we like the green chile style. And then lots more cheese – haha can’t get enough cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or so until cheese is melted.
We usually top the servings with diced tomatoes, sour cream (or Fage, greek yogurt) and / or guacamole. You can also cook this as enchiladas and you can bake it in a cake or pie pan or even just a casserole dish. I love to use Trader Joe’s long flatbread tortillas, which fit well in a rectangular casserole dish and also work really well for burritos or basic enchiladas.