I’m writing this post on Election day. I actually voted a full week ago from the comfort of my local library in a crowd of seven people or so because my super smart husband had the smarts to suggest it. Despite my early worm status, I’ve still had to live in the real world since then and hear all the hateful political talk and listen to those awful radio ads and hear the strange, bizarre things my kids would come home having apparently learned from their friends (because 10 year olds are experts on politics and totally not just repeating half statements from their parents like the world’s worst game of telephone).
Now it’s early morning on Election day and I know I’m in for a stressful day as we all take one last shot at changing people’s minds and making our political opinions heard. For the record:
So before I leave my little cocoon of my own opinions where everyone agrees with me and we all hug it out over a nice cup of coffee and pat ourselves on the back for being so reasonable and well informed and aren’t we clever and yes I’m talking to myself, before I force myself to go interact with the rest of the world, I thought I’d write up my post for Mama Kat’s pretty much world famous Writer’s Workshop. I’m responding to the prompt: 3. Write a list of 8 things you are thankful for. Because I like diversions. So.
8 Things I’m Thankful For Right Now.
- The incredibly clever children I’m raising who keep me on my toes and make me laugh on the daily with little notes and big personalities. I’m constantly blown away by how smart, kind, funny and all the things they are.
- A super smart husband who keeps me well informed and makes sure I’m questioning new information and plays devil’s advocate when I need it.
- Amazing friends who remind me when I’ve been hiding inside for too long and share my love of princesses with dragons and men in blue phone boxes.
- We finally got new folding chairs for the dining room so I don’t have to live in constant fear of our chairs collapsing underneath me like Goldilocks. It’s the little things.
- Coffee. It helps me do the things. Regardless of what color the cup is.
- A new Marissa Meyer book is coming out! Great books help to distract me from politics and laundry.
- Most of the Halloween candy has left our home. Some of it left by way of my stomach, but not an insane amount and I’m very thankful for that.
- Regardless of what the outcome is, I’m thankful that the election season is coming to a close. This election has been very polarizing and very mean. I’m hoping we’ll be able to come together again when this is all said and done and focus on things that we can all agree on like kindness and compassion and Black Friday sales. You know, important things.
What are you thankful for right now?