Every year, on February 1st, Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy writes a post about what’s saving her life, the positive things big or small that are making these winter months more bearable. The idea is that we’re all great at listing our complaints but don’t often spend that same amount of mental energy on the good things.
Here are some of the little things keeping me sane this winter.
- Cozy sweaters with pockets are great for staying warm on cold winter days (and here in Wisconsin we’ve had some pretty cold days recently). Added bonus is having a handy place to stick my phone when my outfit doesn’t have any.
- I found out that my local library has board games you can borrow for 2 weeks at a time! I feel like I’m continually learning that I’ve been underutilizing my library. This is just another example. The selection is actually pretty good, the game I checked out was in great condition and this is such a genius way to check out new games instead of buying them right away.
- When the winter weather says I can safely get out of the house, I’m volunteering at the kids’ school and meeting my husband at his office for lunch regularly. Both get me out and peopling which seems to be crucial for my mental health this time of year. As much as I love to Netflix and Legit Chill, I have to keep the impulse in check more in the winter.
- Weezer’s Teal album has been my new favorite ear candy. It’s a fun trip down memory lane and it fascinates me that they are able to impeccably cover songs from so many genres. I think you either love or hate Weezer, my husband doesn’t enjoy it at all. But it’s been keeping me good company at school pickup.
- Cheesy YA romantic comedies in both books and TV / movies. I’m all about avoiding the heavy right now and big time indulging in my favorite feel good genres. Whether it’s watching the latest season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or reading books like Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.
What are some things saving your life right now?