My kids just got ten dollars each from grandparents out of state and I could see their eyes growing big with excitement at all the things that money could buy. My six year old thinks all cash money is “a whole dollar” and my nine year old probably thinks it’s a lot of money, too. And the truth is – for a young kid, ten dollars is a lot of money.
I started thinking about the different ways you could spend ten dollars, aside from just buying that toy that they find after three and a half minutes in the toy aisle at Target. Which they’ll love for a minute or two. Or….
What else can I do with ten dollars?
1. Sure, I can buy a toy! Yay!
2. Or maybe I’ll get a card game or board game.
3. I could buy a new book to read.
4. I could donate money to a charity or buy food to give to the needy.
5. I could go bowling!
6. Or take mom to a movie!
7. Or we could all go out for ice cream.
8. I could get that cool shirt I want (or dress, pjs, tights, hat, scarf, etc.)
9. I could buy a new movie or CD to enjoy over and over and over…
10. I could save my $10 and eventually get something bigger.