This week Dana @ Supernanny Where Are You? wants to know:
What are 5 things that you hope you can pass down (or at least teach) your children. Beliefs, ethics, morals…. stuff like that.
I think I could list way more than five things, but here are the first ones that came to mind…
- A love of knowledge and reading – my husband and I both love to read and learn new things and I’ll be a little bit sad if our children don’t share that passion. I actually hope they will read MORE than my husband and I do, which in my case at least, would certainly be saying something. And that they know MORE than my husband does, which would be amazing and wonderful.
- Being open to change and new information – I want them to be able to learn new things, even if it means negating something they’d previously believed to be true. They should have their convictions, yes, but not to the point where they refuse to grow and mature and advance with the rest of the world.
- That they are worthy of true and lasting love – I want them to know that they are special and wonderful and that the right person will love them unconditionally, even when they are acting like a fart – just like their parents. I will always love my son, even when he’s being a jerk, and the right girl for him will, too. Not that they will allow him to be a jerk, but they won’t stop loving him for it. And that that kind of love is worth waiting for.
- Healthier eating habits – I didn’t take that concept seriously growing up and I regret it now that I have terrible eating habits to battle. I want my children to have a chance to try lots of healthy foods and to be aware of how food can affect you – and know good portion control, will power, etc. I also want them to be more active than I am currently.
- I want my children to feel they can come to me with anything and know I will support them always. I want to have an honest open relationship with them and for them to feel like they can trust in me and know I will always be there for them. I want them to have that kind of relationship with their own children, too.
What five things would you like to pass on to your children?
7 responses to “Top 5 Tuesday: Things To Teach Our Children”
[…] feel free to skip this one or add your own twist to the question) I just answered this question in seriousness on Tuesday, so today I’ll go for a bit sillier response. 1) I’d like him to learn to use the […]
I think I would add faith in God to that list, but I really like your 5.
I think this list is fantastic, and they are all things I can only hope to instill in my children. Luckily I’ve already gotten the “good reading” part into the eldest. I found out today she’s the TOP READER in her class! Wooohoo! That’s my kid! And the youngest refuses to go to bed without a few books with her. So hopefully her too. Wonderful choices.
The healthier eating habits is one I like too. I am NOT a great role model for this unfortunately…I grocery shop like my parents are going away for the weekend!
Great list! I should have put the eating healthier one too – I definitely don’t want to pass on my bad eating habits to them!