She writes, “I thought it would be a great way to keep Fall Into Reading participants connected throughout the course of the challenge.”
Here’s the question for this week:
Where do you get the books you read? Are you a faithful library patron? Or maybe a bookstore junkie? Do you exchange books with friends or family members?
I think the real question here should be, “Where don’t you get your books?” as I get my books from a wide variety of sources, including but not limited to:
- Amazon.com – whenever I’m ordering something and need an extra $5 or $10 or so to get free super saving shipping, I often convince the hubby to let me splurge for a book. Whether or not this actually delivers us a real savings if often tough to say but it does often result in me getting a book so I don’t dwell.
- The clearance racks of Barnes & Noble or Borders. I like sales and typically if I can find a book I’ve just been dying to read that’s on sale for some obscene price, I’m much more likely to spring for it.
- The little book section at Walmart near the bathroom. Walmart’s prices are usually awfully competitive and standing around the bathroom waiting for the kids often gives me ample time to “just have to have it puh-lease!!!!”
- The library of course, though not as often as I should. This spring and summer I did a great job making good use of the library but I fell out of habit this fall and now simply have too many books to read to try and squeeze a library book in, too. Our closest library has a truly terrible selection, so usually when I want a book from the library I request it online and wait for an email telling me it’s in and waiting for me. Sometimes I even make my husband pick it up for me on his way home from work – which I think classifies me as truly lazy, truly ingenious or both.
- Yard sales, library book sales, etc. You know those magical places where you can find a much coveted book for a dollar or two? Love those places. But for the sake of my over flowing bookshelves I don’t visit them often.
- My amazing book club is trying out this fun thing where the book club president person of awesomeness checks out like fifteen copies of the book we are reading next and hands them out at the meeting. Then next month we bring the books back, she returns them and passes out the next month. We’re still giving this idea a try and seeing how good people are at returning said books but I personally LOOOOVE it to pieces as it perfectly compliments my laziness.
- I do get a few books for review though I certainly wouldn’t mind getting MORE of those. If anyone has a book they’d like reviewed or works for a book PR kinda firm, feel free to email me at mommablogsalot at gmail dot com. I read a lot of mainstream fiction, young adult, historical fiction, a bit of sci fi fantasy and heck, probably anything.
- Also sometimes people who love me a lot will buy me a book or give me a gift card to procure my own. I love these people dearly and might be compelled to jump in front of a moving bus for them. Just sayin…
Where do you get the books you read?