How was your Thanksgiving weekend? We had a five day weekend filled with delicious food, major cleaning projects and a trip to the movies with the kids. The week before was less fun with a nasty stomach bug that worked it’s way through the family – which I’m using an excuse for the lack of posts her lately.
I have some legitimate review posts planned to go up soon, including a review of Eric Weiner’s The Geography of Bliss and Phillip Phillip’s debut album, The World From the Side of the Moon. But for today, here are 5 things I’m loving lately:
1. It’s that time of year again – time for dressing our kids up in their cutest outfits to take pictures for Holiday cards. I tried to snap some cute pictures of the kids on Thanksgiving, but it took awhile to work through a serious case of the sillies. I love the outtakes though, I think they show the kids in their natural state of being and a lot of times these outtakes make it to the final card! How about you? Do you prefer a perfectly posed holiday photo or silly and sweet?
2. Peppermint mochas are back at Starbucks and this makes me a happy, happy momma. I know a lot of people are all about the Pumpkin Lattes in the fall, but my sweet tooth holds out for the winter flavors and peppermint mocha is one of my favorites. That said, not all the coffee shops have nailed the perfect peppermint mocha – I tried one from Dunkin Donuts this weekend and was pretty disappointed. What’s your favorite seasonal treat?
3. Mommas, don’t hate me, but I’m almost done with my Christmas shopping. Thanks to the internet, I have been scoping gift ideas for months and last week I started making my official purchases – gifts for my husband and kids are done, photo calendars have been ordered and shipped to grandparents and great grandparents and I’ve started working on stocking stuffers and extended family gifts (which we don’t buy a lot of in general). I still need to figure out my holiday cards and finish stuffing those stockings (handknit by my grandmother which I love, but all four stockings are gigantic – I’m thinking big puffy socks and scarves). My go to websites for holiday shopping are Amazon.com, ThinkGeek.com and Shutterfly – what are your favorite e-retailers?
4. What is Santa bringing your kids for Christmas (or alternatively, what are the kids getting for Hanukkah or Kwanzaa)? My daughter (age 3) really wants a shopping cart so she can take her babies grocery shopping. I found one at Costco for just $20 that looks perfect and can double as toy food storage in our playroom. I also got her some mini princess figurines because she is crazy about princesses these days and a big box of duplo blocks because just like her brother, she is all about building things. My son (age 6) is getting an erector set from Costco (also $20 I think) and from Santa a toy airport set and “a garden“. My husband really wants a Mini Kreg Jig Kit. I have no idea what that means, but he asked and he’s getting one. :O) What do YOU want for Christmas? I’m hoping for some macro filters for my DSLR (a cheaper option for those wanting a big fancy Macro lens but lacking the funds for one).
5. I just finished putting together an Advent Book Box for the kids – a filing box filled with 24 holiday themed books for the kids (some classics, some chapter books and some picture books with favorite characters – most books picked up for next to nothing at a used book store, some purchased at my son’s book fair, etc.). I was going to wrap them all individually, but I thought that seemed like a lot of unnecessary work so I went for the put them all in a big box route instead. Then, this week my step mother sent a beautiful handmade advent calendar with 24 little pockets filled with little treats for the kids. In future years I could fill it with activity ideas or anything I want really. It’s gorgeous and I’m so thankful for such a thoughtful gift – the kids will be doubly spoiled this year with two advent activities a day – I’m thinking one in the morning at breakfast and one before bed. Do you do an advent calendar with your kids? What kind is your favorite?
What things are you loving today? Tell me about them in the comments section below or write your own blog post and send me the link!