Today’s Small Talk Six topic is “6 breakfast foods that you love or hate.” You can answer this with a list of 6 words, 6 phrases, 6 sentences, 6 paragraphs, 6 photos, 6 videos, etc . . .
- Pancakes – I grew up on Bisquick pancakes and love them dearly, but we just tried this simple recipe from scratch and yeah, they might be better. Dan will tell you they are a ton better. I love pancakes – so versatile, you can put blueberries, chocolate chips, whatever in the batter, top with fruits or syrup, etc. No two pancake dishes need be alike.
- Waffles – I know, I’m copping out right off the bat by separating pancakes and waffles, but I’m a bit worried I’m going to run out of steam shortly after this, so I’m covering all my bases. We especially love making waffles with our new Calphalon waffle maker – makes the whole waffle making process a breeze. For the most part, I like my waffles plain – no mix ins, but I do love topping them with fresh fruit, especially if it’s a whole wheat waffle, which I don’t like as much as the regular less healthy stuff.
- Southern Biscuits and Gravy – It doesn’t get much better than this for me and I don’t get to eat it often. There is a small little breakfast place near the college I went to that makes the world’s greatest southern biscuits and gravy, at least the best I’ve tried. And I am picky – I’ve had a lot of people’s lame attempts at this dish and it’s not always pretty. But a good southern biscuit and gravy breakfast will have me on cloud nine. Dan has made it for me at home a few times and has pretty much mastered the recipe, but it’s a bit of work, so we don’t do it often.
- Corn Bread – I’m even pickier about my corn bread than I am southern biscuits and gravy. Go figure, that breakfast place I mentioned in #3 makes a killer corn bread, too (there isn’t anything there that I’ve tried that wasn’t amazing though). I don’t like it too dry or too crumbly. It should be moist and sweet and hold up at least fairly well. “Bad” corn bread (i.e. not moist and sweet) is pretty much disgusting so it’s a bit of a crap shoot.
- Cinnamon Rolls – Pillsbury pretty much has the market on cinnamon rolls and I don’t deviate with that much – it’s good, it’s easy, it’s so horrible on my diet – but it’s always worth it.
- Muffins – I think blueberry is probably my favorite, but I like most basic muffins. I like baking them myself especially so that I get a normal serving size muffin and not some gigantic 1,000 calorie muffin. I don’t like that hardened sugar stuff on my muffins and none of that bran junk. I do love chocolate chip muffins and apple streusel muffins, etc. but for the most part I like to stick to blueberry.
Serve me any of these dishes with a bowl of fresh fruit and some delicious breakfast sausage or bacon and I am one happy woman. Thankfully for my diet, I rarely eat any of these things, although with Dan home from work, we have had pancakes and waffles a bit more often than normal. Such sacrifices… ::sigh::
What are your favorite breakfast foods?
6 responses to “Six Dishes I Wouldn’t Kick Off My Breakfast Table”
I love donuts. LOVE them. But I am trying to stay away…
Corn bread with honey…mmm…I didn’t even think of that!
We love making chocolate chip and coconut muffins-so yummy! I’m really picky about cornbread too-I’d rather make it at home than risk getting nasty stuff when we’re out!
Yum to all of those. I enjoy cereal but for special occasions I like rice and a fried egg (it’s the filipino in me).
I have never had corn bread for breakfast. I’m a Northern girl, so maybe that is why.
I can agree wholeheartedly about everything you liked! And I love to put a couple of mashed bananas in my waffle batter; tastes a lot like cookies if you add choc chips. Yummmm.