She writes, “I thought it would be a great way to keep Fall Into Reading participants connected throughout the course of the challenge.”
Here’s the question for this week:
Where do you love to read? Note: I don’t mean where do you actually do most of your reading, because that might be the carpool line, the work cafeteria, or even the bathroom (if you have to escape from a few small children in order to read a chapter of your book). I mean, what are a few of the places where you LOVE to read?
We live in a fairly small apartment with only so many rooms and no real outdoors to speak of. Sure we have a balcony, it overlooks a busy street, has an excellent view of the liquor store and usually smells like cigarettes because our neighbor is a smoker. Not ideal.
- The only thing I read in our kitchen is cookbooks. I’m guessing that’s true of most people. I don’t read at the dining room table either, preferring a comfy place to sit while I read so I can block out “the rest of the world” and not think about my butt hurting.
- I almost never read in the living room because there are so many distractions – computer, tv, loud children, husband – vying for my attention.
- I’m not one of those bathroom reading people. Sometimes I wish I was, I might spend all day in there. But I’m not.
- I do read to my children in their bedrooms, mostly the four year old’s room still, and I do love it, but I wouldn’t go in there to read a book of mine.
- That leaves… my bedroom. Where I do the majority of my reading, and I suppose you could say I love it. I get to lay down, I’m definitely comfy. The only thing I don’t love about reading in my bedroom, is that I’m usually tired and don’t always get a lot of reading done. I sometimes think I don’t allow myself to devote enough time to reading, wanting to be on for my kids during the day and having too many other distractions during nap times.
- Occasionally I will read in a car if the baby were to fall asleep while out running errands – but that requires me to predict this scenario and bring a book or my kindle.
- I’ve attempted to bring a book to a coffee shop or playground, but never feel my children are old enough to watch themselves while mommy has a nose in a book, so that never really happens. Too many dangers in this world, kids awfully young.
Where would I love to read?
- In a comfortable outdoor chair on our imaginary back porch, or maybe in a hammock in said back yard? A tasty beverage would probably be required, maybe some singing birds for ambiance.
- If said back yard had a nice shady tree, I might opt to sit and read there on a hot day while the kids play. Perhaps a back yard picnic would be called for?
- In Europe, on a cruise, or lying on a tropical beach – i.e. if we took an extravagant vacation, I’d probably be the dork who wanted to read anytime there was downtime. Although if kids are present, we know downtime wouldn’t really be a reality anytime soon. But in about 5-10 years – somebody please hand me a book. A stack of books. And a tasty beverage. And then go away.
Where do you LOVE to read?