My books read in 2011 post was getting pretty long so I decided to write a separate post of reading goals for 2012. My biggest goal for 2012 is to read more books that I own, and try to do a little less impulse reading this year.
I know that my book club will be adding new books to my list each month that I likely won’t already own, but since I tend to read two books a month – one book club pick and one other book, I’m going to try to make at least twelve of my books read this year come from my bookshelf or Kindle – particularly the books that I keep looking at and thinking, “I REALLY want to read that, why haven’t I picked it up yet??”
This list is of course subject to change, but here are 12 books I own that I’d love to read in 2012:
- Bossypants by Tina Fey : I have been coveting this book for months and my husband got it for me for my birthday. I am absolutely itching to crack this one open and I’m guessing it won’t be difficult to read it before the end of the year.
- Seriously… I’m Kidding by Ellen Degeneres is another birthday gift that I am absolutely giddy to read this year.
- Wicked by Gregory Maguire and the rest of the Oz series perhaps – I read half of Wicked a couple years ago, put it down for a review book or something – and then couldn’t get back into it. This is not a book you can pick up and then put down as the plot is just so vast and intricate. But having to start from the beginning? Whoa Nelly. But it’s been a few years now and I really want to give it another go.
- Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi : I’m noticing a trend. Apparently 2012 is going to be the year of Celebrity Memoirs! Seriously though, this book looks really good, though maybe pretty sad. I think I am a little afraid to read it, but also fascinated.
- Sherlock Holmes collection by Arthur Conan Doyle – my husband read this recently and really liked it and I’m hoping to give it a try this year. This is one of my “classic” to read books that I’m hoping to finally get to.
- Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde : I love his Thursday Next series and can’t wait to read this new one. His books always take me a little time to get into and then I can’t put them down.
- The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown : I’ve got this on my Kindle waiting patiently and I’m hoping to read it this year.
- Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice : I’ve got a whole pile of books from this series to read, but first I need to start at the beginning. I’m hoping that having seen the movie adaptation of this won’t ruin the book for me.
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen : or really any of Austen’s books. I LOVED Pride and Prejudice so much, it’s really time I read another of her books.
- The Magician’s Elephant by Katie DiCamillo : another book on my Kindle that I really want to read.
- Nefertiti by Michelle Moran : I got this book last year and was so excited to read it. What happened? I’m going to get to this one in 2012, too!
- She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb : I’ve heard Wally Lamb is amazing and I’ve had this book for awhile, too. It should do nicely for my twelfth pick.
What books are you itching to read in 2012?