I was thinking about what to blog about today – BB’s 4th birthday party? The Amazing Pay it Forward Shoes? Yes I definitely want to tell you about those things soon, but then I noticed it’s time for What’s On Your Nightstand? @ 5 Minutes for Books! Who can pass up a chance to talk about BOOKS? Certainly not me!
Never participated in What’s On Your Nightstand? Just answer some or all of the following questions:
What books have you read recently? What are you reading right now? What will you read next? Basically what books are on your nightstand, either literally or figuratively.
Since last month I have read:
- The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart – Finished July 5, 2013 – It was really fun to read a little of the back story on Nicholas Benedict from the Mysterious Benedict books – he was a pretty amazing kid! The story itself stands on it’s own so if you haven’t read the other books in this series, you can feel free to read this one first. I found the book to be well written and funny with plenty of mysteries to solve.
- The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (July Book Club) – Finished July 21, 2013 – I’m kind of grateful that I didn’t previously know very much about Hemingway’s life, much less his wife Hadley’s, because there was never any moment in this book where I definitely knew what would happen next. Beautifully written, this book was a favorite of mine. I really sympathized with Hadley and found the book to be a fascinating look at marriage, literary history and life in the 1920′s. – Full Review
I just started reading The Selection by Kiera Cass last night. I am definitely intrigued by the story’s premise and the main character, America Singer, is definitely that right mix of a sassy, fiercely independent free thinker who suffers from being in love with the wrong guy, according to her society. Yes, it’s a YA Dystopian Story – my fave! Here’s a quick description:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn’t want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she’s made for herself—and realizes that the life she’s always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
So when I finish this book, here are the books from my Summer Reading Challenge I’m thinking I’ll read next:
- Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
- The Alienist by Caleb Carr (my August Book Club pick)
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I have to confess though, my wandering literary eye has been itching to read a few other books that have come into my possession recently. I have been doing a really good job sticking to my original list, but sometimes that gets tough when really good looking books come my way.
Also contenders for upcoming reads:
The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare – I downloaded this on impulse on my Kindle the other day for super cheap and I really would like to read it before seeing the movie, plus it would still qualify as reading a book on my kindle which was one of my goals for my Summer challenge.
The Last Word by Lisa Lutz which I won in a Goodreads.com First Reads Giveaway. I don’t actually have the books in my hands yet as it still needs to ship out to me – but I think I’ll have a hard time ignoring it when it gets here.
What are you reading right now?