I went MIA for almost month and though I posted a lot of scheduled stuff while I was gone so as not to make this space feel all naked and abandoned, I’m still feeling a little out of the loop. My RSS feed is nearly caught up, my email is checked and I’m slowly working my way through writing about our travels (not to mention the piles of laundry) but today I just want to pretend it’s a normal day and nothing changed and babble about the stuff I’ve been into while I was gone.
I’m linking up with Leigh Kramer to share the things I’ve been into this month: books, tv, music, and great online reads.
Books I Read:
- **** Veronica Mars: The Thousand Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas – Finished July 10, 2014 – I’m a pretty big Marsmallow so I was really excited when I found out that there are books written that take place after the movie that was recently released – maybe the fun really doesn’t have to end? I think my favorite thing about this book was that it really did read just like an extended episode of Veronica Mars, but it didn’t necessarily feel like you had to have seen the show to enjoy the book. It was a natural transition from the screen to the page and the story really pulled me in. I definitely plan to continue reading the series.
- **** Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Book Store by Robin Sloan – Finished July 22, 2014 – This book was a lot of fun to read. It felt kinda like a Rainbow Rowell book from a male perspective with lots of computer programming / social media stuff. I thought the contrast of old technology and new was really interesting and the story itself was compelling. Parts of the story felt formulaic but not in a bad way.
Right now I’m reading One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde, which is number 6 in a series that if you haven’t read yet, you must do so immediately. Especially if you like books with both literary / bookish elements and science fiction / fantastical elements all rolled into one awesome element. This book might be my favorite one so far. The descriptions of BookWorld and the map at the front of the book have me completely enthralled AND there’s a major plot thickening going on to boot. Fforde never ceases to amaze me with how he can keep this story feeling fresh with each book.
TV Shows I’m Marathoning:
We’ve been catching up with a few shows since getting back to town. Dan and I are finally catching up on Bones and only have about 4 more episodes to go, then we’ll need to decide if we’re planning to watch last season’s Grimm or not – oh and we’re still behind on Grey’s Anatomy, too. Last season was weird and not terribly enjoyable for me – anyone else?
We’ve also been watching some of our favorite late night guys – we’re big fans of Craig Ferguson, Seth Meyers and Colbert – and also enjoying Whose Line is It Anyway and Top Gear. I’m REALLY impatiently looking forward to Doctor Who coming back in a few weeks!! Can’t wait to see how Peter Capaldi does as the Doctor.
BB and I have been snuggling on the couch and watching Project Runway and Food Network Star together – or as she calls it, “The clothes show and the food show, mommy.” I’m still not sure who I’m rooting for on either show though I think I’m Team Lenny on Food Network Star. Anyone else watching either?
I’m also finally caught up on Emma Approved and The New Adventures of Peter and Wendy which I never really had a chance to watch while we were gone. Both shows made me cry recently! Looking forward to seeing the coming episodes of Emma Approved and really curious to see what Season 2 will entail for Peter & Wendy.
Music I’m Jamming To:
We listened to a playlist on my phone called Only The Best during our trip which is 409 songs currently and over 150 of those songs are John Mayer. We listened to a LOT of John Mayer, followed by a lot of Macklemore and Matchbox 20 which I haven’t listened to in a while but threw onto the list recently and have REALLY been enjoying it.
Newish songs I’ve been enjoying:
- Scare Away the Dark by Passenger is beautiful and powerful and if you haven’t LISTENED to the song yet, like really listened, you absolutely must.
- Ain’t it Fun by Paramore has absolutely been my jam lately. It’s one of those songs that instantly cheers me up.
Things Worth Cooking:
I made this strawberry, blueberry and raspberry cake for BB’s birthday party last weekend and it was amazingly delicious. I promise to share the recipe soon!
Links I’m Loving:
- 25 Literary Pun Names For Your Cat from Buzzfeed made me giggle.
- Dear Mean Girls, I’m Bringing Booty Back from Dude Mom is a Must Read.
- How Do Royalties Work for Weird Al Songs from Mental Floss was interesting. I’m really enjoying his recent songs, especially Word Crimes!
- The Gray Hair, It’s Growing On Me from The Art of Simple also a Must Read. I only have a few barely visible grays so far, but I’m planning to keep all of mine. Remind me of this when there are enough to be noticeable.
- The official full length trailer for Doctor Who is finally here!
What are you into these days?
3 responses to “What I’m Into Lately: July 2014”
I need to do one of these if anything just show I’m still around. So ready for some new Who!
Oh you definitely have to play along!
I love Jasper Fforde! So oddball and with the sly literary references, ah! Reminds me I haven’t read this one yet! And that cake, yum!