One of the writing prompts for this week’s Writer’s Workshop hosted by Mama Kat was downright memeish and I couldn’t resist. It’s a series of lists of 5 things basically. Here are…
5 things you don’t know about me.
- When I was a kid, one of my favorite games was to look at those green boards inside the computer (like the motherboard, video cards, sound cards, etc.) and pretend that they were tiny cities. I’d decide what kind of building each piece on the board was and imagine what all the people in the buildings were doing. Basically, I’ve always been a nerd.
- I often sing made up songs to my kids to goad them into doing things or when they were younger, just to fill the space and feel less like I was talking to myself. There have been songs about changing diapers, putting on shoes, getting in the car, buckling our seatbelts and more. Again, nerd.
- I’m terrible at video games but in games like Mortal Kombat, I’m an expert button masher – I beat my husband in MK multiple times until he finally learned the rules to the game and all the combos. So now he for sure will win against me, but if I’m playing a novice, I stand a fair chance. So I’m not always a very good nerd.
- I’m not necessarily competitive but sometimes I can be a sore loser. Games like Monopoloy or Risk I have to be in the right mindset to play or I’ll just sulk and act like a jerk when I’m losing. I’m not sure why this isn’t true of all games but it seems to mostly just happen with games that I’m not good at to begin with – so it doesn’t feel like I have a fighting chance, maybe? A sore loser nerd, I am.
- I’m a pretty shy person as an adult, but I was not shy as a kid at all. My grandpa used to (and still probably does) call me the Lean Mean Talking Machine – I would talk to anybody and rarely stopped talking. So when my daughter talks for literally every breathing second of the day, I know she comes by it honest. It runs in the family.
5 things I’m knowledgeable about.
- Thanks to my new job, I’m pretty knowledgeable about glasses. I know the various types of lenses and what’s good and bad about each of them. I know how to read your prescription and what it means. And I can probably fix your glasses if something is broken or needs to be adjusted.
- I can talk your ear off about books and when you name a book title, I’m already trying to remember who the author is, what the book looks like and where it would have been shelved in the bookstore I worked in eight years ago. Or what blogger wrote about it recently.
- I may have mentioned I’m a nerd? I know a lot more than the average girl about computers, operating systems, Linux, html, Android phones, etc. That knowledge is beginning to feel a bit out of date but I try to keep current enough.
- Blogging! I’ve been doing this blogging thing since 2008. I know my way around wordpress like it’s my job and I’ve fiddled with other blogging platforms as well. I can write and edit in HTML, I can make my own graphics, I change themes like it’s my job and read dozens of blogs regularly.
- I’m pretty knowledgeable about photography, too. I’m no pro but I’ve taken advanced classes in photography to learn to shoot in manual, I take lots of pictures of my kids (and my coffee) I’ve made my own light box and I make people regret going to botanical gardens with me because I stop so often to take pictures.
5 things I know nothing about.
- Quantum Physics. All I know is that I’m pretty sure it’s a thing and maybe one of the guys on Big Bang Theory knows it? Maybe?
- Advanced math. Don’t ask me for help with your math homework kiddos, I barely understood high school calculus.
- Electrical engineering. That’s hubby’s field and I leave it to him entirely. Basically, math and science guys. It’s not my thing.
- Most of the major events happening around the world. I don’t make much of a habit of following the news so unless Facebook is talking about it, I probably don’t know anything. This is horrible but true. But frankly, I have enough anxiety without watching the news so I think it’s better for my mental health to keep ignoring it.
- I don’t sports.
5 things I believe.
- I believe that every person is special and important and should be treated as such. Be nice to people so they will be nice to you. Regardless of their faith, race, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, favorite color or shoe size.
- I believe that animals have feelings and that we should be kinder to them also.
- I believe that war is unnecessary and devastating. Period.
- I believe that I do not know exactly what I believe and that that’s okay.
- I believe in love.
Wanna play along? Tell me an answer to one or all of these prompts or if you are playing along at your own blog, send me a link so I can read your responses!