Erika at The Book’s The Thing had the supremely clever idea to combine a Playlist Shuffle Tag that she was recently tagged for with this week’s Top 10 Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) which has a music theme this week.
The tag requires putting your music player on random, and listing the first 15 songs to come up, no skipping! Like Erika, I’m cheating a bit by doing only 10. Here are my songs, and the books that each song made me think of – the one I’d put on a soundtrack for the book if I were making a sountrack for said book. You understand.
Ready to giggle at my random playlist?
- Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen : The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith sounds appropriate. Their kind of one night romance / crush at first sight meet cute definitely has Carly Rae Jepsen vibes even if the book itself isn’t quite so bubble gum pop. I think it should play the morning after their first time meeting.
- Neon by John Mayer : This song definitely makes me think of a John Green book like Paper Towns or Looking for Alaska with that manic pixie dream girl that is just giving the main characters a world of romantic trouble. Like they always manage to slip through the tracks and leave him wanting more. This would totally be playing during a downward spiral scene when the main guy is just totally not knowing what to do about their love.
- Someone Like You by Adele : I’m thinking the main character from The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins would be singing this like constantly while peeking at her ex huband and his new wife’s house from her seat on the train. Perhaps drunkenly and with gusto.
- Don’t Stop Loving Me by Pomplamoose : I think I’m going to have to pull another John Green book out of my hat because this song kind of gives me The Fault in Our Stars vibes. In between the dying and the sadness, Hazel and Gus have this kind of cool vibe that’s irreverent and fun.
- Sail by Awolnation : This song feels like it’s just begging to be in the soundtrack for an epic dystypian novel like the Divergent series by Veronica Roth which is rife with teens who feel like they don’t fit into society’s expectations for them.
- Say Something by Alex and Sierra from The X Factor : I’m not sure exactly which book in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer that this song belongs in, but the series as a whole feel perfect for the millions of times that these crazy kids just can’t say the words to assure the other person that they are totally in this and feeling it, too.
- Swallowed by the Sea by Rebecca Loebe : First of all – if you aren’t madly in love with Rebecca Loebe already, do yourself the biggest favor and click the link and check her out and then keep listening to all her music because she’s amazing. Now then. I had a hard time with this one, but hear me out because I’m kind of thinking that Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell might be perfect if we interpret the “sea” as Cather’s anxiety issues. Maybe? Once I stopped trying to interpret this one literally it totally worked.
- We’ve Got Tonight cover by Phillip Phillips : which still gives me chills by the way. Or goosies as JLo would say. For some reason I can really picture Carswell Thorne signing this to Cress in a croony cheesy kind of way. Or maybe I’m picturing Cress daydreaming about Thorne singing this to her?
- Thrift Shop by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis : Okay guys – this one is really hard. I’m going to go with The Selection by Kiera Cass because I’m pretty sure that’s kind of how America felt every time she was finally allowed to wear jeans instead of another frilly ballgown.
- Royals cover by Pentatonix : this song could easily be on the soundtrack for a couple of books I’ve already mentioned like The Selection series or The Lunar Chronicles. Another great choice would be The Royal We by Heather Cocks – I mean seriously? I think this song would be awesome during one of the big the big break up scenes. I love the idea of playing something so ironic in a soundtrack for a book about a girl who totally becomes royal.
2 responses to “Top 10 Tuesday: The Playlist Shuffle Tag.”
Great list! I love AWOLNATION.
Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian
I love your choices – especially Sail and Royals! 🙂