We’ve been having the world’s weirdest warm snap that I’m not even complaining about. But when it’s 65 degrees in Wisconsin in February, it bears mentioning, you know? Anyway, being t-shirt weather outside has me dreaming of summer when I won’t be looking behind my back for another cold snap. And thinking about summer can lead to thinking about relaxing on an island, or being deserted on one.
I was reading this list of 50 blog post ideas at Wear Daisy Went and one of the prompts was Desert island beauty products. That list would be really short for me – sunscreen and a hat. But the whole concept of “what things would you hope you had if stranded on a desert island” is an oldie and a goodie so I thought I’d play along in a more generic sense. Here are 5 things I’d want on me if I somehow tripped and fell on a desert island, minus children and husband because obviously I’d want company if possible.
- A good book. At first I was thinking my kindle with loads of books on it, but on the off chance that I’m stranded long enough for batteries to die, I’d better rely on something a little longer lasting. And it needs to be a favorite that is always enjoyable to pick up even when you have already read it. Something like Pride and Prejudice or Harry Potter comes to mind.
- A journal and something to write with. I’m going to be pretty bored and have fairly unlimited writing time so something to write on would be ideal. I can wax poetic about Island Life and all the deep thoughts that come to me when I have too much time on my hands like “if a blogger screams on an island but no one is around to comment, did she really make a sound?” and “what good is prime shipping if you are stranded on a desert island?”
- One of those water bottles that can filter ocean water to make it drinkable. That’s gotta be a thing, right? It makes sense to stay hydrated while working on my tan. Add to this list of sensible items the aforementioned hat and sunscreen.
- Also a Swiss army knife seems like it could be useful. I can go all Girl Scouts of America and make my own shelter out of bamboo and leaves and sticks and stuff. I can crack open coconuts and carve my initials into all the trees so that everyone knows I was there. Posterity, you know.
- A deck of playing cards. Solitaire for the win, you know? In a pinch I could pretend the coconuts are friends and totally own them in a game of Poker.
Frivolous add-ons: good sunglasses, a cell phone so I can play some games until my battery dies (I assume there won’t be cell service otherwise I’d have called for help or posted my dilemma on Facebook), a magical button that makes Starbucks iced coffee appear in my hand, pizza delivery, cabana service, a camera (so I can photograph my magic button coffee and pictures of the sunset)
What 5 items would you want on a desert island?