I have not historically been a very artistic person. But after a few fun nights out with friends at those Paint and Sip events, I have started dabbling in other mediums. The most recent has been watercolors or more specifically watercolor brush pens.
I’m still not at a place where I feel super confident with the craft, but I can see improvement slowly but surely and more importantly I’m still having fun with it.
A few of the things I’ve learned:
- Paper thickness is super important. Non-watercolor paper will definitely curl and warp after it gets wet.
- The watercolor pens blend better than the pencils or at least take less water to blend. The colors are also deeper.
- If the paper starts to pill, it’s getting too wet.
- Fineliner markers work great for small details.
- The watercolor brush pens I have do not work great for handlettering.
Here are some of my recent masterpieces. They’d probably be more impressive if I lied and said my 9 year old made them.
One of these days I’m going to buy some actual watercolors and see how they compare. What kind of hobbies are you doing these days?