I’ve shared this recipe before but it was pretty incomplete and not entirely accurate – whoops! Definitely time for a do over!
This recipe is a big favorite in our house and it’s very versatile. I use the same basic ingredients whether I’m making the dish pie or pizza style or just as basic enchiladas. You can use any variety of enchilada sauce or even taco sauce so you can adapt it to your family’s preferences. I keep a bottle of hot sauce on hand for my husband who likes it spicier than the rest of us.
Here’s a pic of the recipe making regular old enchiladas
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (or make your own – I love this Alton Brown recipe)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- About 4 oz. (1 cup) of shredded cheese but you may use more or less depending on preference
- 1 can of enchilada sauce (you could also use taco sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook up 1 lb ground beef until it’s browned through, then drain excess grease.
- Add a packet of taco seasoning and 1/4 cups water, then continue cooking meat until the seasoning / sauce is “thick” or basically, until it’s not watery and all the meat is covered.
- Using a flat round skillet that can go in the oven (or a cake pan or square pan – whatever is handy), place a tortilla on the bottom, add cheese, then your meat, then another tortilla and so on until it’s full, finishing with a tortilla.
- Top all of this with a can of enchilada sauce – we like the green chile style – try and make sure the whole thing is covered so that the tortilla doesn’t overcook in the oven.
- Then add more cheese to the whole thing.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or so until cheese is melted.
We usually top each serving with diced tomatoes, sour cream (or Fage Greek yogurt) and / or guacamole. You can basically cater this to individual preference.
What’s your favorite go-to recipe?
8 responses to “Recipe: Momma’s Enchilada Style Mexican Pizza”
They look so yummy and easy to make! I do my own taco seasoning, too!
Looks so good, Jen. I definitely need to try this recipe soon. My favorite go-to recipes – at least for the summer – are savory pies: tomato pie and black bean pie. My husband loves them.
Oh that sounds delicious! Let me know if you try the recipe – it’s super easy, great for busy weeknights.
[…] Thursday: Enchilada Pizza […]
[…] Fresh Tomato Sauce and Pasta Wednesday: Hamburgers, Hot Dogs & Macaroni & Cheese Thursday: Enchilada Pizza Friday: Leftover Bruschetta Chicken […]
[…] but I did want to surprise him as much as possible. I also made him one of my specialty dinners, my Enchilada Bake, which I haven’t made in ages so it was kind of cool and of course […]
[…] Brie wrapped in filo dough w/ cherry preserves and fresh fruit Sunday: Mexican Pizza Enchilada Style BEEF (1/2) Monday: Grilled BBQ Chicken w/ baked potatoes and mixed frozen vegetables CHICKEN (1/2) […]
[…] Mexican Pizza Enchilada Style Sunday: Homemade Pizzas Monday: Tex Mex Cheddar Mac Tuesday: Spaghetti w/ zesty bolognese w/ Caesar […]